This curry was really tasty! I wanted to have a curry that had a full creamy and nutty flavor, but I didn’t want to use nuts since my mom has an allergy. I tried it with sunflower butter and it worked perfectly!
INSTANT POT SPINACH CURRY WITH CHICKEN INGREDIENTS
- Chicken Thighs (boneless and skinless): About 2 pounds, cut into chunks.
- Ghee: 2 TBLspns (or more). I also like to add in a little bit more ghee at the end of cooking so that the curry has a nice gloss to it.
- Onion: 1 medium, chopped.
- Garlic: 8 cloves, pressed or minced. I like garlic. Like, a lot. Use less if you prefer.
- Ginger: 2 teaspoons, grated.
- Jalapeño: 1 pepper, seeded and minced.
- Tomato Paste: 2TBLspns. I like to buy my tomato paste in a tube so that I don’t have to waste the remainder in a full can. I have found tubes of tomato paste at Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods
- Garam Masala: 2 tspn. I like to make garam masala using this recipe from AllRecipes.com. The only thing I changed was that I grated some Star Anise instead of cloves (I didn’t have any clove).
- Cumin: 2 tspns. Adds a wonderful warmth with this spice.
- Turmeric: 1 tspn. Turmeric is a great spice with lots of proven health benefits. It also adds a beautiful warm color to this curry.
- Cayenne: 1/2 tspn. You can add more or less depending on how spicy you like things. I used 1/2 tspn and my 8 year old son really like it–not too spicy.
- Spinach: 1 lb. We need to use a lot of spinach for this recipe. I used frozen spinach that I had frozen myself from fresh. When it was in the ziplock bag I smooshed it so that the leaves would crack and I wouldn’t have to shop up all of the leaves.
- Coconut Cream: 1 can. My favorite is from Trader Joe’s and it is very economical. I love that it’s entire ingredient list is only organic coconut and water.
- Sunflower Seed Butter (aka Sun butter): 2 heaping TBLspns. You could also use almond butter or other nut butter.
- Salt: 1 TBLspn (more or less depending on your taste).
HOW TO MAKE SPINACH CHICKEN CURRY IN AN INSTANT POT
Instant Pot Sun Butter & Spinach Chicken Curry
- Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker
- 2 lbs Chicken thighs, cut into chunks
- 2 TBLspn Ghee
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 8 cloves Garlic, pressed or minced
- 2 tspn Ginger, grated
- 1 Jalapeño Pepper, minced
- 1 TBLspn Tomato Paste
- 2 tspn Garam Masala
- 1 tspn Ground Cumin
- 1 tspn Turmeric
- ½ tspn Cayenne pepper
- 1 lb Spinach (fresh or frozen), chopped
- 1 can Coconut Cream
- 2 Heaping TBLspns Sunflower Seed butter, or other nut butter
- 1 TBLspn salt, more or less depending on preference
- Chopped Cilantro (optional), to garnish
- Set Instant Pot to "Saute" setting.
- Add ghee, onions, ginger, and jalapeno and cook until fragrant, stirring frequently.
- Add chunks of chicken thighs to the pot and cook for a couple minutes. Season chicken with salt.
- Add spices (garam masala, ground cumin, turmeric, cayenne pepper) and tomato paste to pot. Stir to coat the chicken. Make sure there are no clumps of tomato paste left over.
- Add chopped spinach, coconut cream, and sunflower butter. Stir well so that there are no clumps.
- Press cancel for the "Saute" function. Put the lid on the instant pot. Select "Manual" and cook for 10 minutes at high pressure.
- Let sit and natural release for a few minutes and then quick release. You can also just quick release without waiting if you are feeling impatient. 🙂
- Carefully open the lid, being careful not to burn yourself. Stir the curry so that it comes together nicely. I like to stir in a little bit of ghee before serving so that the curry is nice and glossy.
- Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro and enjoy! This curry is great served with basmati rice, naan bread, cauliflower rice, or potatoes.